Sunday, September 7, 2008

Made it to the beach

Well we've made it down to the Outer Banks after just over 12 hours of driving. Thank goodness we spread the drive over 2 days, though the last 3 or so hours seemed the worse. We drove just about 8 hours Friday night and stopped in Richmond VA for a quick 4 hours of sleep thanks to Miss Mackenzie. Then around 11am we headed for Corolla NC. We drove through Tropical Storm Hanna...really it was just like a really bad rain storm, though the rain drops were warm. I don't know if I have ever felt warm rain! By the time we made it to the house the rain had stopped and we just had some high winds to contend with. As we drove the two lane road up down and around the island the water was so high that the side of the car actually got hit by a wave!!! That was interesting...the water was right up to the road. I've never been in a tropical storm before and hopefully we won't be again any time soon. The area appears to have fared very well. We have not seen any damage other than some small limbs and leaves down. I skimmed the pool and got the leaves out and that was all that was out of place around the house. Mackenzie had her first taste of the ocean...she like it as long as we were holding her. She was okay with the sand, but I think that she was pretty tired so hopefully as the week goes on she will have fun playing in the sand. It is beautiful down here. It makes me wonder why I didn't leave Ohio when I graduated from OT school. Oh well. I've had fun using my 35mm camera. I have not really used it because the digital is easier with a little one. Hopefully I have gotten some nice pics of the beach and of Mackenzie on the sand. I am sure that I will have a bunch of pics to post once we are home. Well, we are off to start our first full day in the OBX.

No comments: