Tuesday, May 11, 2010

One of those days...

I enjoy my job, I really do. But working in the acute care inevatable leads to a few days here and there where your pt's are doing poorly or passing away. Today was one of those days. I've worked in acute care for 4 years now, I have seen many many pt's near the ends of their lives. It was a strange thing to get used to, for a lack of a better term, but I guess it is something you deal with and for the most part it is a peaceful thing for my pt's. I work in oncology, so death and dealing with the dying process if often a part of my daily treatments. When you work closly with pt's you gain their trust and often you have seen them during multiple admits, they feel comfortable talking about their wishes and such. Today was a day where I was asked not once, but 4 times by 4 different pt's why they were being made to "hang on" and not being allowed to die. I wish I had the answers, but I don't. It makes for a long day when all you can do is hold their hand and tell them you don't know the answers to their question. I've had my fill of dying pt's this week.

No comments: