Saturday, April 5, 2008

Putting away baby items...

So it took me 14 months to do it, but we turned off the baby monitor tonight and turned on her big girl night light. Sigh... We have not been going into her room at night for about 2 months now, but it was comforting to know I could just turn the receiver in our room on and hear her...even if she was just sleeping soundly. I know if she needs me I will here her cry...she is just across the hallway. That was really the last piece of true baby equipment, other than the crib that we were consistently using with her. We are just about done with the bottle. The only time she takes one is at night. The only reason we have not cut that out is because she is not a big fan of milk, except for at night right before bed. We have not used the swing, bouncy seat, walker, jumper, boppy pillow in many months. All those things have made their way into our basement. She does enjoy playing with the bouncy seat when she is "helping" with the laundry. I can't believe how fast my baby girl is growing up. But I must say that I absolutely love this age. We played outside for 3 whole hours today. She had a blast running around the yard, being bashful with our neighbors, and sitting in the mud in our flower garden...no prissy girl around here. As soon as I raked the leaves out of the flower bed she promptly stomped in and plopped down in the mud...looked pleased as could be. I wish my camera had new batteries...it would have been a good picture. We got her a new swing today. We attempted to put it up in our tree, but we need to do a bit of adjusting before she can swing properly. I had intended on getting her a sandbox, but had the small car and it would not fit. So, before too long hopefully we will have a chance to get her one. I think she will have a good time with that. She loves the sand and water table we have for her. Not sure what she will do with sand though...we have substituted with other things like oatmeal and cornflakes :) We also got her some sidewalk chalk and bubbles today. She loved the chalk, but not for coloring...rather she thought it made a good snack YUCK!!! So we put the chalk up for now. This summer should be so much fun. There are lots of little kids in the neighborhood, so hopefully we can have mini play dates with them this summer.

Off the topic of baby growing up...Mackenzie got in trouble for the first time at day care this past week. I guess she slapped her favorite teacher and also was slapping some of the smaller infants in the room. She had been slapping us at home, but not going after others outside of our home. We are finding it difficult to find an appropriate discipline method for a 14 month old. We both agree that she really does not understand that she is hurting people, but more that she is just getting a reaction. But all in all she can't go around smacking helpless little babies! We are trying to teach her to touch gentle, but we're having mixed results. Guess it is just going to take time. At least I guess she is not biting...well at least not yet!!! Oh boy, my little girl is going to be a bully :)

No comments: