Monday, July 28, 2008

New Adventure :)

I know most will think we are crazy and I'm sure it will be good for a laugh, but I think it will be a good thing. Sometime last week when we were working on our budget and I about dropped over when I realized how much money we have already spent on diapers...just over $1200 and that is just a rough estimate. Plus add on and extra $500 dollars in wipes!!!! That is a whole LOT of money...I could do a lot with all that money, not just wipe a butt and toss in the trash. Plus I've been doing a bit of reading about all the crap that goes into the diapers and wipes I've been using...Mackenzie has had a very fine rash on her bottom for well over 2 months that never really goes away, just looks better some days than others. I've read that one diaper takes an estimated 250 years to break down. I know it's probably a ploy to make people feel bad about using disposable diapers, but if you think about with all the things in them to make...I'm guessing that it really does take a long time to break down. So, for the wipes we are going to start using wash cloths that I made with a wipe solution out of household items (water, baby shampoo, and a few drops of tea tree oil) for in the kitchen and when we go out and about for cleaning faces and such. We will still be using regular wipes for bottom wiping...we've got to start simple :) We really do use a lot of baby wipes for cleaning up miss Mackenzie as well as her eating surface when we eat out...that's a lot of money down the drain. For the diapers we purchased 3 pocket cloth diapers to try out. They are pricey up front, but it is an all in one system...meaning that the diaper grows with the baby. I know I know we tried this before, but we tried prefold diapers with covers and they were a pain. This new diaper fits just like the Pampers we've been using...you can just use them over and over again. We figured we can try them out and if we like them we will start collecting them...Mackenzie can use them for now....hopefully we will start potty training in the next few months and when we have a second kiddo, we will already have the diapers on hand. I'm surprised, but Jason didn't hesitate at all...and he does the majority of diaper duty during the week. Now I will be the one doing the laundry, but I think once I get into a routine it won't be that bad. But we will see. We also figured that since we have most of what we will need for a new baby, we can afford to get diapers as we won't be needing to buy all the other pricey baby items. I'm excited. I feel like this is something we should do...I've been thinking about it for a while, but was hesitant to jump in and buy a few diapers...I didn't want to waste our money. We put Mackenzie in one of the diapers that we got in the mail today and she looked adorable...the diaper we tried on her was a pale pink. It fit her great with a bit of room to grow...and she is a big girl for 18months. I would love to try and sell some of the crafty things I've made over the past year to help offset the cost of the diapers...so we will see. We are going to put the prefold diapers on eBay....that stuff sells like made on there!!! So that is our new adventure...it will take a while to really get going, but hopefully it will end up saving us a bunch of money in the long run :) Okay you can laugh now... :)

No comments: