Friday, August 1, 2008

First time in cloth diapers :)

Today was Mackenzie's first attempt at wearing my crazy idea for cloth diapering. Now she was only in them for about 3 hours before she went to bed, but she was in them and even out of the house :) They fit just about like a disposable diaper does....just a little bit more bulky, but her shorts still fit with no trouble. She didn't fuss or really seem to notice a difference...or at least I didn't think she noticed...when I put her to bed and put a disposable back on her she cried and pulled at the front of it. So, maybe the cloth ones are more comfortable. Who knows...maybe she was just cranky and wanting to go to bed. I can't remember if I mentioned in my last post about her little rash that we can't seem to get rid of...well after just 3 hours in cloth it was gone...no sign of it, not one single spot!!! We did have one problem...a leak with the first diaper, I think I just didn't have enough inserts in the diaper as she is a pretty heavy wetter. So I ordered some inserts made of hemp...they are supposed to be paper thin but very absorbent. So we will see. I really want to make this work, but we have to do it without major leaks. I know leaks happen....they do with her disposables as well, but not that quickly. So we will see. I've asked my on line board buddies for some info...I'm sure they will help me fix my problem. So we are going to keep trying this for a little while. Now it will be sporadic because I only have 3 diapers, but if we can fix the leaks I will order more and try and see what it is like for a whole day or two. I really do hope we can do this...we will save so much money in the long run and we won't have to buy more diapers for our next kiddo. The diapers we have are "adjustable" so they fit from 8 to 35 lbs or so. I'm excited and feel like we can do this, even with the leaking problem. I'm sure we will get some strange looks...the couple at dinner who sat behind us spend a strange amount of time staring at her bottom...she kept pulling her shirt up so you could see the top of the diaper...it was pink and it definitely doesn't look like a "normal" diaper. I heard them debating weather or not they thought she was already potty trained!!! haha I wish. So we are off on our new adventure...hopefully within a month we will be full time in cloth...well as the pocket book allows :)

No comments: