Saturday, February 11, 2012

Update on us :)

Since I'm not sure when I'll be home to sit at the computer I'll try and catch up on what has been going on here! Aubrey was admitted to MedCentral hospital Friday February 3rd after failing to gain sufficient weight at home. We were admitted immediately following her follow up appointment that showed she only weighed 10lb 2oz. While at MedCentral she had a chest xray, blood drawn, and stool/urine samples taken as well as being tested for cystic fibrosis. Thankfully all tests came back normal or negative. She gained weight, just not as much as they wanted. We trialled a level 2 nipple to make feeding easier but she still struggled to manage the fluid. That has been are biggest struggle. It would be so much easier if it was just GERD, but the aspiration throws a wrench in the whole situation. After a week at MedCentral it was decided we needed to go to Akron Children's to see the specialists to see if we could get to the bottom of all of this. Thursday morning we headed to Akron Children's and it's been a crazy few days! I have never seen so many doctors or nurses in my whole life! Yesterday was nuts! We saw an OT, nutritionist, audiologist, neurologist, genetic counselor, geneticist, hospitalist, and the gastroenteralogist! So far everything is coming back normal. The geneticist wants to run a some tests to look
specifically at her chromosomes, but those results will not be available for a month. She is waiting for an MRI of her brain on Monday to rule out some causes for her global low tone. I'm not overly concerned with the low tone because we have a lot of low tone people in the family, Mackenzie and I included :). They are planning on discharging us Monday following the MRI. It has been a long 9 days and we are very ready to go home. As of last night she is up to 11lb 1oz!!!! I'm very thankful that they have been so very thorough and that so far all is okay. I have nothing but good things to say about the care we have gotten, both at MedCentral and Akron Children's hospitals. It has made one if the most stressful parenting experiences as pleasant as possible. So that's a quick version of the past 9 days. Hopefully we will be back to normal by early next week :)

No comments: